Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Got Involved


I am totally smitten with the idea of sending blankies to babies in the NICU. The babies in the neonatal intensive care unit are given small blankets to lay on in the incubator, and the family takes it with them when the baby goes home. My first one is done, and the pattern is so simple (see Sept. 21 post) that it makes for perfect tv or movie knitting. I tried to hide it, but the bottom edge was knit on different needles and looks a bit wonky. Still... made with love.

I must admit that I was inspired by the blanket project as a former blanket-carrying child. Now, as a knitter myself, I can appreciate the time and love that go into a blanket like the one below- my childhood blanket made by dear grandma.


This is the original. The beloved. It's nearly 20 years old, and has never needed mending (makes you think twice about acrylic yarns, no?) Grandmas definitely make the best blankets. Consider me a shameless grandma in training.

No comments: